Monday, October 21, 2013

Review: Monster Brawl (2011)

The idea of having all these classic monsters duke it out is genius, but the final result is unbelievably boring. The first time I tried to watch it I shut it off after 20 minutes. I went back and finished the rest despite it feeling more like an obligation than anything. I have to admit I'm not a fan of wrestling so I would've much rather seen some flesh being torn off with buckets of blood thrown around. These monsters do have teeth and claws for a reason so let them go berserk. They steal plenty of lines from Mortal Kombat for Lance Henriksen's voiceover yet all the gory carnage of that infamous game is missing just like its neutered film adaptation (sadly, that movie is still better than this). They also left out any spectators for the fights, which would've been a golden opportunity for some nightmarish contestant to run amok and paint the ground red. I like seeing each monster's origin, but the whole thing just disappoints in the end. Look at that Japanese poster. It's a million times better than the movie and shows you how awesome it could've been.



Rachelle Corbeil is the best part of this movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment