Monday, July 9, 2012

Review: Insidious (2010)

A new horror movie that's actually good? Yes, it's true. And it's PG-13? I was actually shocked to find that out. What can I say... I like the red stuff especially when it's practical (no fuckin CGI!). First, I want to complain about the poster. Why? Because I hate it, and it made me not want to see the movie. I hate possessed kids movies, which is all you get from the crappy one sheet and DVD/Blu-ray cover (they should've used the witch one I have to the left or a silhouette of the red demon). Evil kids have been so overused, and they usually end up with some dumb scene of a kid beating up adults, which no matter how you slice it, just looks silly. Plus, you can't beat The Exorcist. Thankfully, this film is smarter than that. There is one semi-ridiculous moment like I just mentioned, but it's very brief, and the rest of Insidious makes up for it.

The actors in this film are excellent. I'm looking at you Patrick Wilson (Night Owl!) and Rose Byrne (hottie!). They actually seem like a real couple, and the characters are well developed, but what really did it for me is the atmosphere. The tension that you get from the very beginning. Immediately, you're treated to a creepy shot of that fuckin witch just standing there. Later on, you get a fantastic jump scare with that damn red demon. Once the whole story unfolds, you see how unique it is. I don't want to spoil anything, but I really haven't seen a film go the possession route from this particular angle. It was really interesting, and the originality is appreciated. I guess some have complained about the stupid paranormal investigators, and I don't think they're the best either, but I still think the movie is good regardless. Some threw a fit about the ending, but I actually liked it. Its gutsy and not what I expected. Definitely recommended if you like creepier horror.

No comments:

Post a Comment