Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Review: We Are What We Are (2013)

I'm a big fan of Stake Land, the writer/director's last film, and I also like Mulberry Street (you got to keep in mind it's a no-budget first feature, but it isn't bad). I hate this remake though. It starts out alright. There is a great moment early on when the father suddenly snaps at his son, breaking the slow pacing, but these characters don't feel real at all. I didn't care about them so the whole thing became incredibly boring. Plus, the shit they do later on is just insane and doesn't make any sense, which is the point I guess, but without being invested in the sisters or seeing any real humanity in the father, the film completely lost me. What was obviously supposed to be a shocking scene at the end turned comedic. I wanted to like this movie, but it didn't even remotely work for me aside from the beginning. If they had developed the characters better and made the history of why they're doing what they're doing more understandable so we could see it through their eyes, it could've been interesting, but I don't recommend it. I'm curious about the original film though.

4 comments:

  1. You've got me intrigued. I'll have to watch the original.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Dick!
    Warden here. Thanks for following my blog, and sorry it took me so long to get over here. But, boy, am I glad I did. How refreshing to hear a negative post! haha. I mean lots of times you hear that something was just ok, or not that great, but I hardly every hear, "I hate this remake though." love that. So refreshingly honest! The trailer looks really good, too. Don't they always?! "Let's put the best 2 minutes and 41 seconds of the movie on the trailer, because the rest sucks!" What really got me, was the beginning, Was that Blair from One Life to LIve?! I mean I could google it, but what's the fun in that? I loved Blair! But since all the soaps are giving way to reality tv shows, I'm glad she's got another gig. Remake, eh? I was going to ask you what you thought of the original, but it looks like you haven't seen it. It kind of reminds me of, the trailer anyway, of Frailty, for pretty much the same reasons you state for not liking this one. I didn't like Frailty. I thought it was lame. But the whole gotta-do-what-dad-says-even-if-it-involves-something-vile thing reminds me of that premise. I'm afraid I'll have to view it, especially if Blair's in it. Can ya tell me if she's in it for like five seconds in the beginning? Cause if that's the case, maybe I'll just start with the original, since you "hate this remake." I'm a glutton for punishment. I just wish I had more time! I have quite a list of things "I'm afraid I'll have to view.." Again, thanks for following my blog! Until next time...Keep those fires stoked, Dick.
    Eternally Yours

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Warden! Yeah, I hate it when trailers are so much better than the movie or when they give everything away. I actually liked Frailty, but this film did nothing for me. Yep, Blair is only in it for a few minutes at the start so I'd suggest trying the original instead.

      Delete